Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year Resolutions

Our night did not end with a mid-night kiss,
which is a little unfortunate since this is the first New Years Eve
that Zach was actually home, and not playing somewhere.
 
It was still a great night though.
Scrabble by the fireplace, Guardian's of the Galaxy, wine and chips with dips.
By the time the movie was over it was only 10:30 p.m. so,
after a lot of yawning and scrolling the television for new movies,
we decided to crawl into bed and put on our regular bedtime show.
We both passed out cold shortly after...
but not before one little 11:25 p.m. kiss.
 
 
So that's our life folks.
Really entertaining.
 
------------------------------------------
I looked at my resolutions from last year...and well, I didn't accomplish much.
Life gets so busy and I forget the little things that I would love to attain.
 
Zach accomplished one of his resolutions
(to be better about going to the doctor/dentist for check-ups)
 
I've been thinking a lot about my resolutions this year
and one stuck out at me more than any other,
and that is to be a more thoughtful person.
 
I am certainly a caring person,
but I am not good at showing people that I am thinking of them...
- sometimes I feel so bad for a person's situation and share loving thoughts
-sometimes I don't feel anything
-sometimes I think, 'man, that sucks' and I feel bad, then forget about it 5 minutes later
-and sometimes (not as often) I just flat out have a bad attitude about helping people
 
It's not that I don't care,
but life is full of hardships and bad times...
I've been through many hard times
and witnessed some that are worse than many people could emotionally handle,
while working investigations with Child Protective Services.
 
So when I see and hear about sad/bad things now,
I don't always have a reaction or strong concern.
 
Maybe I have become a little too desensitized.
Maybe I have become too self-involved.
And I guess, since my life's work seems to revolve around
putting Band-Aids on other peoples problems...
maybe I am just exhausted from rescuing people, at times.
 
Take yesterday for example,
it's snowy & icy out so Zach and I took the 4-wheel drive down the street
 to get fire logs from Sam's Club.
We saw a lady who's car was stuck due to the ice
and a lot of people were already helping her out so there was no need to stop.
My response to the scene...
"One thing that sucks about getting out of the house, right now,
is something like that happening, and then having to stop and help."
 
...is that terrible?
That's a terrible thing to think and/or say.
 
Zach blurted out an astonished laugh.
But you know...
I feel that way sometimes, and I'm sure a lot of good people do too.
 
I love helping people.
I really do, but then there are times when I've had a helping overload and
I do not want to hear about anyone else's problem for awhile.
 
Maybe that's why I love helping animals.
I know the ones that truly need me so I help, and they don't really ask for anything.

So that leads me to my major New Year Resolution...
to be a more thoughtful person!

I'm really excited about it and I've been practicing the last two months
(when I heard that someone was sick or in the hospital)

I won't lie, it was actually way harder than I thought....
Racking my brain over what I should do to show that person I was thinking of them.
It took me over two weeks to think of something once.
But, I'm sure with practice, it will become more simple and effortless.
 
Our New Year Resolutions
Mine
1) To be a more thoughtful person
2) To dedicate one day a week to writing
 
Zach's
1) To finish the house remodeling
 

Happy New Year Everyone!

Have a warm and relaxing day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment